1.11.2012

"Cookie, Peas..." {A Healthy Cookie Recipe!}



If you are anything like our family, we've gotta have a sweet snack every once in awhile. I don't generally buy packaged cookies at the store. They are full of bleached flour, high fructose corn syrup, soy and artificial stuff. So if I have the time and ingredients I will make some cookies from scratch.

Over the last couple months, I have tried several healthy cookie recipes in search of that one, go-to healthy cookie. To my dismay, it has taken me many tries to find one worthy of a place on my blog. My sweet family has been patient and suffered through a few really bad ones. So lucky you, as a result of my failed attempts, are given the gift of a good, yet healthy cookie recipe that are a perfect combination of sweet and tart! These cookies are also loaded with fiber and top-notch, health-promoting antioxidants... so enjoy!

side note.... When I made these, my two-year old found the step stool and stole several until we took the stool away. Then he sweetly came up and said, "Cookie, peas..." with a look you couldn't say no to. He loved them and I hope you do too!

Cranberry-Chocolate Cookies
adapted from King Arthur Flour recipe

1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 T (no pulp) orange juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large cage-free egg, room temperature
1 1/4 cup King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
3/4 cup dried cranberries.

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease two baking sheets.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add orange juice, vanilla and egg until well blended.



In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Once combined, gradually add to the butter mixture until flour is absorbed. Stir in chips and cranberries.


***here are those awesome anti-oxidants!***


Drop by tablespoons full of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets.




Bake for 12-14 minutes, until just beginning to brown around the edges. Remove from oven and let chill on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

Yields: 2 1/2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment