5.10.2012

Simple Mother's Day Lunch Ideas

When you are a mommy to little ones, sometimes Mother's Day is.. Busy. Chaotic. Maybe not the spa-like day you envisioned before you had kids. But those things aren't important, give me some homemade cards, some slobbery kisses and sweet hugs and this momma's quite happy! But there is one thing I love on Mother's Day... a nice meal with my family.



In years past our family would "try" to go out to eat on Mother's Day to give me a break from the kitchen. But with four little squirming boys and the dreaded wait to be seated on Mother's Day does not usually equate to a low stress time for me.

Finally, last year, my husband and I had an idea. Let's stay home! But wait, my sweet hubby doesn't cook! Oh.... OH! My husband wanted to get the boys to help him, but he needed help too... so we went shopping together to buy the ingredients on our list, made some things the night before and then I slightly "guided" the men in the kitchen on the big day. Just having help and my husband "managing" things made it a true delight!

This endeavor worked out great! And I absolutely loved it. The boys enjoyed it and the best part? No crowds. Plus lots of precious time, just us, around the table.

If you would like a simple, Mother's Day meal at home, here are some fairly simple and healthy suggestions for you!

Main Dish Ideas: 

1. Asian Chicken Kebabs from My Baking Addiction
2. Pecan Crusted Chicken & Apple Salad from Kitchen Simplicity
3. Pineapple Teriyaki Salmon from Cooking Light
4. Foil-Baked Fish with Black Beans and Corn from Pink Parsley
5. Spinach Frittata from Simply Recipes

Side Dish Ideas:

1. Grilled Asparagus from Simply Recipes
2. Slow Cooker Parmesan-Mushroom Risotto from Oh! You Cook! 
3. Honey Glazed Carrots from Food Network 
4. Bib Lettuce and Radish Salad from Cafe Lynnylu
5. Rainbow Fruit Skewers from Babble.com

Desserts:
1. Chocolate-Hazelnut and Banana Crepes from Martha Stewart 
2. Chocolate Covered Strawberries from Martha Stewart
3. Cocoa Meringues from Parents Magazine
4. Cinnamon Apple Quinoa Parfait from Epicurean Mom
5. Lemon Cheesecake Yogurt Cups by Skinny Taste

Mom, you are special. Enjoy your special day and savor the time with your loved ones. 

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment