8.25.2011

What I {heart} to Snack On

I live in a family of snackers... myself and 5 males who snack... constantly. I never use to snack. I grew up in a home where snacks did not exist. Seriously. We ate three square meals a day and that was it.

I still remember like it was yesterday... my first grocery shopping experience as a young girl, newly married and on her way to the grocery store so thrilled to begin my adventure of feeding my husband. I had my list in hand and on it were only the items for the meals I had planned for the week. Nothing else.

Needless to say, upon my arrival home with bags in hand, my husband was dumbfounded to see no snack bags, no sleeves of cookies, nothing. I think I remember he went straight back out, filled up a cart with his goodies and returned home satisfied.

Fast-forward almost 15 years later and my pantry is overflowing with snacks... ahhhem, healthy snacks... mostly :) We've learned to give a little. But now, this ummm, older girl, is now a snacker. But finding healthy snacks can be a challenge.

So let me introduce you to one of my favorite, wholesome snacks.

It is homemade granola over plain, low-fat yogurt.

First, make your own granola (see mine below) ~ it's much cheaper and better!

Next, use an organic plain and low fat yogurt. This is key. I know you will be tempted to use a vanilla or another sweetened flavored and you can! But I feel the plain really brings out the sweetness in the granola, specifically the raisins. Plus, you are not taking in all the sugar as well. I love the combination of tart and sweet. Ok, if you must... add a drizzle of honey to the top if you can't handle the tartness :)

I love this snack mostly because it gives me what my sweet tooth wants and keeps me satisfied for a long time. Plus who can argue with the wholesome ingredients this snack contains?? It's full of probiotics, lots of fiber and omega-3's.

Enjoy!

5-Star Granola Recipe:

4 c. rolled oats

1 c. slivered almonds

1 c. raw cashews or pepitas (your choice)

1 c. shredded, sweetened coconut flakes

1/4 c. ground flaxseeds

1/4 c. plus 2 T. dark brown sugar

1/4 c. plus 2 T. maple syrup or honey

1/4 c. unsulphured molasses

1/4 c. coconut oil

3/4 t. sea salt

1 c. golden raisins or cranberries

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut flakes and flaxseeds. In a saucepan, over medium-low heat, combine sugar, syrup or honey, molasses, coconut oil and salt. Stir occasionally for 10 minutes or until sugar is completely dissolved. Pour over oat mixture and stir to incorporate. Evenly spread combined mixture onto two baking sheets. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Add raisins and mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment